Monday, July 18, 2011

Vienna Girl's Trip

Being that I am overstaying my welcome in Austria without a residence visa, it was imperative that I got my name changed on my US passport so I could apply for my visa. In the US, to complete this process it usually takes 6-8 weeks. I decided to get this done in Vienna, since it only takes 2 weeks at the US Embassy.

As I was discussing my upcoming trip with my friend Nichole, she said that she and her daughter Lea-Sophie (baby) would love to join me and we could make a little trip out of it. A couple of days later, we got a room on airbnb.com and bought train tickets. Three hours on the train later and we were in Vienna.
As soon as we got to Vienna I realized how different it was than Salzburg. It was such a big city and the fashion was quite different. Many more people spoke English. This all probably had to do with the fact that there were lots of tourists. And there was lots to see!
After we arrived, we headed to the little room that we rented. Airbnb.com is an awesome website where you can rent out a residence rather than staying in a hotel. We ended up staying in a studio apartment off the beaten path but was quite accessible to the metro or "U". After we unpacked a bit, we headed to the ring and had a lovely dinner where we drank lots of wine and people watched. I must say, it was the best people watching I have done in a very long time.
The next morning we were up bright and early. I was off to the US Embassy while Nichole and LS were off to grab some coffee. It did not take me near as long as I thought it would so we went walking all over the city the whole day. For lunch, we stopped at a marvelous cafe on the river and had a bottle of Rose and great food. That night it just happened to be the Wein Film Festival, so we checked it out. It was definitely another great people watching opportunity.
The last morning we packed our things and went out to walk around the city for one last hoorah. We ended up having lunch near museum quarter and walked quite a bit. At 3pm we were on the train on our way back to Salzburg.
Overall, I had a fabulous time. Vienna is such a beautiful city and I am so glad that Nichole came with me. It ended up being a lovely little girl's trip.

I can't wait to take Jason and show him around!

No comments:

Post a Comment